To allow high school students to get a jump-start on their education at Luzerne County Community College and experience college.
The following paperwork is submitted to the Off-Campus Office:
- LCCC Application. Application MUST BE SIGNED by parent or guardian and high school guidance counselor or administrator
- Official high school transcripts
- ACCUPLACER test scores or SAT's scores of 500+ Verbal and 500+ Math will be used to determine eligibility for the Program.
- Do NOT send payment for tuition and fees as you will be billed upon acceptance and registration. The charge per course is 50% of tuition only and all fees.
- A completed application packet (LCCC signed application, high school transcript, ACCUPLACER scores / SAT's, and a completed Off-Campus Registration form indicating the course(s) to be taken) must be submitted by the dates listed below. After these dates the registration will be closed.
- Returning students must submit the Off-Campus Registration form signed by the high school guidance counselor or administrator.
- High school juniors or seniors.
- Young Scholar participants must have a minimum 2.0 high school grade average and demonstrates readiness for college-level coursework in the intended subject area of study.
- ACCUPLACER testing is required for all new Young Scholar participants. Placement testing will be waived for applicants who submit documentation of having had scored both 500+ Verbal and 500+ Math on the SATs. Participants should schedule the placement test when submitting their application by calling (570) 740-0408.
- Students whose ACCUPLACER test scores indicate the need for developmental coursework will NOT be eligible to take college level courses through the Young Scholar Program.
- All participants must have the high school guidance counselor's or school administrator's signature on the Application Form.
- All participants must have parental or guardian permission, by signature, on the Application Form.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 and a grade of "C" or better in each college course attempted must be maintained for continued participation in the Program.
- Earn credits towards their high school diploma, while simultaneously earning college credits. (LCCC does not guarantee that any college credits will count towards the high school diploma. Participants must contact their high school guidance counselor in regard to high school policies governing dual-credit)
- Young Scholar participants can take a maximum of 24 college credits a year; students who wish to take more than 24 credits are not eligible for the reduced tuition rate and may contact the Admissions Office at 1-800-377-5222, ext. 7340 for additional information.
- Can take up to a maximum of 48 college credits throughout the Young Scholar Program.
- Use their college credits to matriculate into an associate degree program at Luzerne County Community College or for the purpose of transferring to a 4-year college or university. *NOTE: students planning to attend LCCC after their high school graduation must contact the Admissions Office at 1-800-377-5222, ext. 7340 for additional information.
- Take classes at LCCC's main campus or at one of our 11 off-campus sites.
- Eligible to use LCCC's library and email services.
- Attend events sponsored by LCCC.
- Are eligible for Student Support Services. A tutoring program is available to students in a variety of subjects.
All materials, questions or concerns may be directed to:
Mary Ellen Jolley
Luzerne County Community College
1333 South Prospect Street
Nanticoke, PA 18634
1-800-377-5222 ext. 7479 or (570) 740-0479