Associate of Science (Two year program)
The program fosters a strong foundation in the craft of writing. It is designed to expose students to the varied styles of creative and professional composition while providing a sound, academic foundation for further study and career opportunities in writing and related fields of communication. The program focuses on an understanding and appreciation of grammar and the English language, with styles used in different media based on audience and purpose. This degree provides an intense two-year course of study that prepares Professional Writing majors for transfer to a four-year college or university - ready to do advanced, upper-division work. The production of grammatically sound writing is stressed. Students will have an opportunity to study and compose writings in a variety of styles and for varied media types. Students who successfully complete the AS degree in Professional Writing by attaining a minimum 3.0 grade point average will be prepared to transfer to a four-year institution.
This program provides the student the opportunity to
- Develop a base of substantive knowledge in varied disciplines of writing.
- Acquire the skills of critical thinking, reading, writing, and research, and to apply this knowledge to the creative and professional practices of writing.
- Apply primary and secondary research methods and communication skills related to writing processes in multiple disciplines.
The graduate of this program will be able to:
- Study and practice varied forms and trends of writing to meet the needs or particular contemporary fields.
- Understand and adapt to the needs or writing/communication in varied genres, styles, and media platforms.
- Produce writings with a sense of audience and purpose that conform to standard rules of English grammar.
- Perform primary and secondary research with appropriate accreditation methods for contemporary media.