Accessibility Services - Accomodations - High School vs. College

Individuals with Disabilities Improvement Act (based on Entitlement)Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (based on Eligibility)
IEP (Individualized Education Program)Accommodation Letter
Note: Having a IEP in High School does not automatically translate into accommodations in College
It is the schools responsibility to identify a student with accessibility needs It is a student's sole responsibility to self-report a disability and request accommodations.
Accommodations can include adaptations and modifications such as altering class assignment, providing a word bank for "fill in the blank," and limiting number of multiple choices answers on tests. Accommodations can include academic adjustments such as extended time and preferential seating, but modifications that would change the class curriculum and content cannot be made.
Services can include personal aid in the classroom, PT, OT, and transportation. Student is responsible for services such as personal care attendant, PT, OT, and transportation. Services can include notetakers and test proctors.
Student has advocates such as parents and learning support and may not be necessarily involved in the creation of the IEP. Self-advocacy is promoted and the student must independently take charge of requesting and receiving accommodations.
Parents have right to be involved in IEP and are included in all decision-making processes. Privacy laws (FERPA) prevent information being shared with others, including the student's parents, unless written permission is given by the student. This permission can also be taken away.