Accessibility Services - Information for Parents/Advocates

As you prepare a student for post-secondary education, you may find that some differences when transitioning from High School to College. Differences between High School and College

Your rights as a parent will change and a student must give written permission for you to be involved in any aspect of his/her post-secondary academic career. This written permission can also be revoked at the student's request.

The best thing you can do for a student in preparation for college is to promote self-advocacy. If the student was not involved in their IEP, but would like accommodations in college, it will be necessary for him/her to know what their disability is and how it affects him/her in an educational setting.

It is important for the student to know what accommodations have worked best for him/her and what accommodations may not have worked in High School in order to promote a smooth transition to post-secondary education.

If the student relies heavily on accommodations that are considered modifications, such as any changes to the curriculum, it may be helpful to start thinking about how he/she will perform academically without these adaptations in a post-secondary setting.

Allow the student to make his/her own appointments and function independently whenever possible.

Know important community, state, federal agencies and programs that offer support for college students with disabilities.

U.S. Department of Education (FERPA)
Pa Council on Independent Living