Luzerne County Community College is approved for the education and training of Veterans of the armed services. The Office of Veteran's Affairs is located in the Enrollment and Admissions Center, Room 508 in the Financial Aid Office. Eligibility is determined by the Veteran's Administration.
All Veterans must have a completed application on file with the VA. They can be completed online at www.gibill.va.gov. Chapter 31 VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION VETERANS WITH SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITIES should first contact the Dept. of Veteran Affairs at 1-570-821-2501 to determine their eligibility. Forms for all other chapters must be completed online at www.gibill.va.gov as follows:
- To apply for GI Bill benefits all Veterans, Active Duty and Selected Reserves (Chapters - 30, 33, 1606 and 1607) must complete VA form (22-1990) APPLICATION FOR VA EDUCATION BENEFITS
- Chapter 30,33,1606 and 1607 Students transferring from another school who have already used their benefits must complete form (22-1995) REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING.
- Survivors and Dependents of Veterans (Chapter 35) applying for benefits must complete: Form (22-5490) DEPENDENTS APPLICATION FOR VA EDUCATION BENEFITS
- Survivors and Dependents of Veterans (Chapter 35) who have already used their benefits at another school must complete Form (22-5495) DEPENDENTS' REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING
You must annotate any documents and correspondence you send in clearly with "Title/Chapter." Enrollment certification for all chapters except Chapter 31 and 33 will be done by the Veteran's Representative at the end of the enrollment period for that semester provided the Veteran has:
- A completed application on record with the VA.
- Completed the necessary Change of Program or Place of Training form and confirm that transfer credits apply to the selected program of study.
- Provided Proof of payment or arrangements for the semester, a copy of Your Certificate of Eligibility, DD214 and Class schedule.
- Provided the VA Representative with proof, if the student is seeking a degree at another college and taking credits at Luzerne County Community College, that the other college will accept the credits towards their program of study.
- All chapters except C-33 are required to Call the VA (1-877-823-2378) or Verify on line (IVR or WAVE) monthly.
It is the responsibility of the Veteran to notify the Veteran's Affairs Office of all changes in the number of semester hours carried, curriculum changes, place of training or termination in student status and to report the changes to the VA Representative.
You may contact the VA at www.gibill.va.gov or 1-888-442-4551. You may contact the Veteran's Representative at Luzerne County Community College at (570) 740-0395.
Veterans must be enrolled in 12 credits a semester to be eligible for full time benefits. Those enrolled for less than 12 credits may be eligible for partial benefits. Veterans who meet certain financial need criteria may be eligible for Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency grants, loans, and/or work study programs. Information for financial aid is available from the Financial Aid Office in the Enrollment and Admissions Center.
Campus Services Available To Veterans
- Veterans Club
- One-to-one academic and personal counseling.
- Financial Aid assistance at 570-740-0395
- Free Tutoring and Study Skills Seminars
- Accessibility services for students with special needs or disabilities.
- Career Services can assist with career planning, finding a job, and writing a resume. On and off-campus access to the Library's resources and databases.
Northeastern Pennsylvania Veterans Multicare Alliance, Inc. (NEPA VMA), a 501 (c)(3) organization provides information and referral services for veterans. NEPA VMA can develop a plan and course of action unique to the needs of the individual veteran and their families. NEPA VMA works closely with its program partners, including the LCCC, to achieve its operational goals. By establishing a Vets Outreach Initiative with LCCC at the Corporate Learning Center, NEPA VMA can provide direct resource referral information for the veteran population of Northeastern PA. For more information, or to schedule an appointment with the outreach team, contact NEPA VMA at 570-706-2066 or firstname.lastname@example.org.